50 Cent warns Los Angeles is 'finished' after city reinstates no-bail policy

Publish date: 2024-05-03

Explore More

Rapper 50 Cent says LA is about to get outta control — thanks to so-called bail reform.

The hip-hop “Outta Control” icon took to Instagram to bemoan the ongoing crime crisis in the City of Angels — and said it’s about to get even worse after a judge recently reinstated a controversial no-bail policy there.

“LA is finished,” wrote the 48-year-old rapper, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, on Thursday. “Watch how bad it gets out there. SMH [shaking my head].”

The rapper included video of a TV segment about the ruling, which eliminates bail for anyone charged with a misdemeanor or non-violent felony — akin to New York’s controversial reforms.

Los Angeles city officials had implemented the no-bail policy during the COVID-19 pandemic shutdown to ease pressure on crowded city jails and decreed that inmates already behind bars for crimes such as shoplifting, vandalism and drug possession be released.

The policy expired in July 2022, but in May, Judge Lawrence Riff ruled that the cash bail system was unconstitutional, and reinstated the order, KTTV reported.

The outlet said Riff asked city prosecutors and law enforcement officials to present themselves to argue in defense of the cash bail system before he rendered a decision — but that none of them showed up.

In a follow-up post Sunday, 50 Cent took issue with a media report about his stance that also noted he’s had his share of run-ins with the law in the past.

“Hey I understand why Deadline is reporting my opinion,” he wrote. “I’m a big deal, but why did they write I had run in’s with the law? 👀Im a born-again Christian!”

Jackson rose to hip-hop fame with titles including “How to Rob,” “I Get Money” and “Candy Land.”

ncG1vNJzZmimqaW8tMCNnKamZ2Jlf3R7j3BmaXFfan1ur8Snq2avkae7tHnLqKpmmZ6csq2x0magrGWWnruqv8eem2aZlqmys3nCoquyZaKatq%2B%2F05qrnqtdo7xursCio2aon6G2pMWO